Growing your career from associate to equity partner, in-house counsel, or firm owner is an exciting process.
Each of those stages of advancement is tied directly to one thing…bringing in clients.
There is so much pressure on you to bill hours that you don’t have time to sift through all of information and misinformation that exists on business development. Your yearly plan sits on your hard drive like a neglected New Year’s resolution. It would be very easy to end up 7 years or more into practicing and realize you don’t have any system for bringing in business and little control over your career goals.
Coaching Provides a System and Accountability
No one can tell you when you will bring in clients and if they do, that’s simply a strategy of hope. That’s why setting a goal of bringing in 3 new clients isn’t nearly as effective as creating a system of purposeful activity. With a strategy of action, the results can come at any moment.
Think of the difference between setting a goal to lose 20 pounds by the end of the year versus a plan to go to the gym every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 5:30 and hire a trainer. Which person is most likely to get results?
Stacking 10,000 Hours From Two Different Fields
Having over 10,000 hours of experience in both the practice of law and in sales has given me a unique perspective on not only the business of law, but specifically on what attorneys can do to properly position themselves to win new clients.
I practiced with an AmLaw 200 firm for years, clerked in a Fortune 500 legal department, sold for both public and private companies, have had speaking engagements in 10+ states, and have sold to both Fortune 1000 legal departments and law firms of all sizes.
Now, I can use this unique experience to help you learn a systematic approach to developing business.
The Coaching Program
The program is customized to acknowledge where you are, where you want to go, and how you are wired.
Here is what to expect:
- You will first submit the Coaching Program Application to determine if we are a good fit. This does not lock you into anything and you will have a chance to get all of your questions answered before deciding to take the next step.
- If we decide to move forward together, the first step is a one-hour assessment call where we co-create your program.
- Every week, we will create an action plan to give you clear direction.
- You will have three coaching check-in calls of 30-minutes or less every month to hold you accountable and plan the next week.
- The fourth call of the month will be 60-minutes and combine the check-in with active training via a web conference on one of twelve topics.
- Individual coaching clients will get unlimited email support.
You will not:
- Learn about personal branding (your reputation and own personal talent stack takes care of that)
- Waste time learning 5 different social media platforms
- Be taught there is only one way to develop business
- Ever be told that you are either “always selling” or “always closing”. You are a human being and so are your clients
Active Training Topics
During the training calls, you will actively participate and come away with progress and a plan. You will not simply listen and forget. While each participant or firm might have a slightly different set of topics, they will likely include:
- Building a Business Development Habit using the latest research and proven techniques
- LinkedIn for Lawyers
- BD Misconceptions – Getting Your Mind Right
- Who Else is Doing This Well?
- Content Curation – Start Before You Are Ready
- Creating a Future Client List
- Your Face-to-Face Strategy
- The Power of Referrals
- Keeping and Growing Existing Clients
- Creating a Tracking System
- Finding Your Talent Stack – Does Differentiation Matter?
- Creating Your Cornerstone Content
Ready to Take Your Business Development to the Next Level?
“Working with Vince has given me new ways to think about business development. A different perspective and accountability make a world of difference.”
–Jeff Childers, Shareholder
FIND THE PLAN THAT WORKS FOR YOU